Born in Dublin, Edward McGuire studied at the Accademia di Belle Arti, Rome, and at the Slade School in London. He travelled in France and Italy from 1951-52. He lived at Kilmurvey on the Aran Islands from 1955-56 and in Dublin from 1956 until his death.
His work is included in the collections of the Ulster Museum, Belfast; the National Gallery of Ireland; the Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery of Modern Art in Dublin; The National Museum; TCD; UCD; UCC; PJ Carroll and Co., Dublin City University, Dublin Writers’ Museum and the Irish Museum of Modern Art. His work was widely exhibited during his lifetime.
Group shows included Irish Exhibition of Living Art (1953-71); Royal Hibernian Academy (1962-86); Hendriks Gallery, Dublin (1970); The Irish Imagination, ROSC ’71, Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery of Modern Art (1971); Artists’ Choice, Ulster Museum, Belfast (1973); Oireachtas (1973-80); Cagnes-sur-Mer 6th International Festival of Painting (1974); Concours pour le Prix de Portrait Paul-Louis Weiller, Academie des Beaux Arts, Paris (1979); The Delighted Eye, London and Irish Touring Exhibitions (1980).
He had solo shows at the Dawson Gallery, Dublin (A Recent Painting, 1969); Taylor Galleries, Dublin (1983), and at the RHA Gallagher Gallery (Edward McGuire, RHA, Retrospective, 1991).
Among his awards were the Prix National from the Cagnes-sur-Mer 6th International Festival of Painting (1974); the Douglas Hyde Gold Medal (1976); the RHA Award (1976), and the Marten Toonder Award (1978). He received honourable mention in the Concours Paul-Louis Weiller (1979).