Born in Dublin in 1956, Mary FitzGerald studied at the National College of Art & Design in Dublin, the Osaka University of Foreign Languages in Japan, and Tama University of Fine Art in Tokyo.
She held solo exhibitions at the Oliver Dowling Gallery, Dublin throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, and also exhibited at Allied Irish Banks in Brussels (1985); the Northern Irish Arts Council Gallery, Belfast (1988); Riverrun Gallery, Limerick (1989); Boole Library, University College Cork (1989); Crawford Municipal Art Gallery, Cork (1992); Jain Marunouchi Gallery, New York (1993); Model Arts Centre, Sligo (1993); Green on Red Gallery, Dublin (1994); and Rhok Gallery, Brussels (1995).
In 1985, she represented Ireland at the 18th Sao Paulo Bienale, and she has frequently participated in major group shows, including EVA, Irish Exhibition of Living Art, Oireachtas Exhibition, and others in Brazil, Argentina, Hungary, Paris and London.
She published books with the poets Macdara Woods, Hugh Maxton, and Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill, and she served on the editorial board of the art magazine Circa from 1990 to 1994.
Her major commissions include many paintings and nearly a dozen designs for large tapestries and carpets, including for the stairway at Irish Government Buildings in Leinster House.
She was elected a member of Aosdána in 1990.
Photo credit: Peter Gordon.