Born in St. Nazaire in Brittany, he studied architecture and fine art at the École Nationale Supérior des Beaux Arts, Paris (1933-39). There, he learnt the art of sculpture under one of Rodin's assistants, Despiau. He was a prisoner of war from 1940-41, and he received French and American silver and bronze medals for bravery at sea. He left France for Ireland in 1947 and became a citizen in 1952. He established himself in Bray, Co Wicklow, working primarily as a sculptor. Ten years later, he began exhibiting at the RHA, and eventually became RHA Professor of Sculpture. His sculptures and paintings are held in private and public collections in Ireland and in Europe. His major commissions in France included Bas-reliefs, Exposition International de Paris (1938); and Monument de la jeunesse de l'empire Français, Lille (1939). In this country, he designed the Custom House Memorial, Dublin (1957, following a competition); Kerry Memorial, Tralee; Mayo Memorial, Kilkelly; Christy Ring Memorial, Co. Cork; bronze memorial at Crossmaglen, Co. Armagh; murals at St. John of God's Hospital, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin; Stations of the Cross for the Franciscan order; a bronze sculpture Spring for the hall of the ESB head office in Dublin, and a bronze crucifixion for the Most Holy Redeemer Church, Bray, Co. Wicklow. His private portrait commissions included President and Mrs. Eamon de Valera; Charles Haughey, T.D.; Sir David Kelly, British Ambassador to Russia; Bust of Parnell, House of Commons, London; John Field, National Concert Hall, Dublin and Moscow. He won First Prize in Drawing and Second Prize in Sculpture at the École Nationale des Beaux Arts in Paris; a French National Scholarship; and the Gold Medal, Exposition Internationale de Paris.
< back to former members
Back to top