Former members

 
 

 

Patrick O'Sullivan

Born in London to Irish parents in 1940, he studied at the Carlisle College of Art and Royal Academy Schools in London where he was awarded three Landseer Prizes and three Silver Medals for Sculpture. He exhibited and taught widely in England, where he carried out numerous portrait commissions. After moving to Co. Cork in 1971, he had solo exhibitions in 1978, 1979 and 1980 featuring his work in marble, wood and bronze in Dublin, Cork, and Belfast respectively. He was elected a member of Aosdána in 1982. During the 80s and 90s he held the position of Head of Sculpture at the Crawford College of Art and Design. His work titled ‘City', hewn from Kilkenny Limestone and commissioned for the Cork 800 Sculpture Symposium in 1985 is permanently sited adjacent to Parnell Bridge on the South Mall.  

09 January 2015
It is with great sadness that we have heard of the death of Patrick O'Sullivan. Our thoughts are with his family at this time.

Speaking of him, fellow artist and Aosdána member Michael Quane said: 'Patrick O’ Sullivan was always insightful and never failed to challenge. Like his work he too in his personal style was quiet, quizzical and enigmatic. All those who came within his reach, within his department, were often left guessing, questioning, perhaps occasionally exasperated, but always some way altered. That he changed, in some way, the world with which he came into contact, in such a non-didactic way, is a fine and worthy legacy for the quiet man and artist that Patrick O’ Sullivan was.'

<  back to former members

Back to top