Born in Dublin in 1942, he studied at the National College of Art and Design in Dublin, where he lectured for a number of years and now heads the sculpture department. He participated in the Irish Exhibition of Living Art from 1964 to 1978, won the exhibition's Carroll's award in 1965, and served as its president for the last 10 years. In 1969 and 1983 he represented Ireland at the Paris Biennale, on the former occasion becoming the first Irish artist to win the major individual prize. His public commissions are typically large-scale metal sculptures in an abstract, minimalist style, based on simple geometric patterns. Solo exhibitions include Dawson Gallery, Dublin (1968, 74, 75); Ulster Museum, Belfast (1973); Project Arts Centre, Dublin (1980); Taylor Galleries, Dublin (1979, 82, 88, 90) and the Douglas Hyde Gallery, Dublin (1982). He has participated in major group exhibitions across Ireland and Europe, and his work is held in public collections including the Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery of Modern Art, Dublin; Crawford Municipal Gallery, Cork; RTÉ; Bank of Ireland; Allied Irish Banks; University of Ulster and University College Dublin.
< back to current members
Back to top