Born in Dublin in 1954, she studied at Dun Laoghaire School of Art. In 1979 she was a founder member of the Visual Arts Centre, a co-operative studio space for artists funded by the Arts Council and Dublin Corporation, and she subsequently taught painting at the National College of Art & Design. She lived and worked in West Berlin from 1984-1989, and since 1991 has been living and working between Ireland and France. In the last decade her work has been marked by an increasing involvement with figuration, through paintings exploring interiors, landscape, still life, and more recently, with images of industrial and urban environments. In these shifts of subject matter there is an engagement with the formal demands of the genre, and an exploration of the tradition of painting.
Exhibitions include the Peacock Theatre, Dublin (1980); Project Arts Centre, Dublin (1982); Lincoln Gallery, Dublin (1985); Pentonville Gallery, London & Wexford Arts Centre (1987); David Hendricks Gallery, Dublin (1988); Paton Gallery, London, (1989); Riverrun Gallery, Dublin (1988,90); Garter Lane Arts Centre, Waterford; Triskel Arts Centre, Cork; Fendereskey Gallery, Belfast (1990); Rubicon Gallery, Dublin (1992, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004); Limerick City Gallery (1995); Model Arts Centre, Sligo (1998); Centre Culturel Joel-le Theule, Sablé-sur- Sarthe, France (2001); Ormeau Baths Gallery, Belfast (2004); Galway Arts Centre (2005). She has participated in major group shows in Ireland, Amsterdam, Berlin, London and New York. She won the Independent Artists large-scale painting award (1980), DAAD scholarship to Berlin (1984-85), the GPA award (1986), the EV+A prize for painting (awarded by Jan Hoet) in 1994, and several Arts Council bursaries.
< back to cnuas members
Back to top