Born in Limerick in 1939. He studied at the Limerick School of Art & Design, where he later served as head of the sculpture department. He was a founder member of Limerick's annual EV+a exhibition in 1977. Solo shows include A History of Silence at the Ashford Gallery, Royal Hibernian Academy (2006); The Ministry of Dust at Limerick City Gallery of Art (2004); a retrospective at Monaghan Museum (1999); solo shows at the Butler Gallery, Kilkenny and the Rubicon Gallery, Dublin (1998); Project Arts Centre, Dublin (1995); and Hendriks Gallery, Dublin (1985). He has participated in group shows in France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Hungary, New York and South Korea. He received bursaries from the Arts Council (1981, 86, 04) and the Department of Foreign Affairs (1984, 87, 92), as well as the Scott Tallon, Walker Award (1982) and the Oireachtas Gold Medal (1981).
His public commissions include Leaf Litany at the University of Limerick (1998); Land Litany in the Irish Pavilion at EXPO 2000, Hanover (2000); The Singing Cosmos at St. Lukes Hospital, Dublin (2000); The Numbers Game at Limerick County Hall (2003); Voyage of the Alchemist in Dundalk, Co. Louth (2006).
In 2004 Gandon Editions published one of their profile series on the artist and also a book of drawings The Ministry of Dust, to accompany the exhibition of that name. In 2005 he was included in a representative show, Contemporary Art from Ireland at the headquarters of the European Central Bank, Frankfurt.
For further information visit: www.tomfitzgerald.ie
< back to current members
Back to top